___________________________

Help me decide the 110 Best Things About Canadian Music Over the Last 10 Years

If you want to know the rules, click here.

Like many music lovers, I'm one of those people who enjoys lists. I'm not High-Fidelity compulsive about it, but at the very least I use the month of December to review the year in music and compile a list of what I think was the best to come out of the last 365 days, usually in the form of an iPod playlist.

Lately, though, the spark has been gone. There's only so many times you can see the "Greatest Artists" or "Greatest Albums" be topped by the usual suspects-- the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan, Presley, et al, before becoming bored with the whole thing. What catches my interest these days are the ones that enforce different limitations on who qualifies. You can do this by making time limits, as in Blender's 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born (ie 1980) or sorting by nationality, such as Bob Merseau's Top 100 Canadian Albums. Both of these are great because they (mostly) get rid of the names that everyone knows and allow the spotlight to be turned on to some other artists who are (arguably) just as or more worthy than the usual suspects (who are for the most part British and American artists from the 60s and 70s).

Which brings me to today's post. I've decided that with 2010 fast approaching, we should start looking back on the last decade of Canadian music. I genuinely believe that we are living in what will one day be considered Canada's classical period, when the musical scene of our country was full of great artists with as much depth to it as any other place at any other point in time.

So I'm going to compile, with your help, the 110 Best Things About Canadian Music Over the Last 10 Years. This is going to be divided into two parts. First, I'm going to count down ten reasons Canadian music did so well over the last decade. Then, I'm going to list the 100 Greatest Canadian Artists, 2000-2010.

Give MukMuk the 2010 Olympic non-mascot something to listen to.

I already have a lot of ideas, but this process would be completely invalid if it didn't receive as much input as possible. That's why I'm asking you to give me your suggestions: who and what should be on these lists, what criteria should be used to define "great", who is "Canadian", does Neil Young qualify even though he's old and in California, will anyone openly vote for Nickelback, and so on. So please, make your voice heard. You can comment on this blog, you can email canconcontact@gmail.com, you can find me on Facebook and Twitter, whatever.

I also hope that if you think this is a good idea you try to get other people involved by directing them here. And other bloggers, I encourage to start the discussion on your own sites as well, I only ask that you alert me that you have done so and direct your readers towards me as well, so that their thoughts can inform my decisions.

Let the discussion begin!


High Fidelity: Top Five

1 Comment:

  1. Brenda Lee said...
    Something I love about the Canadian indie music scene is how much our national identity, always in flux and a bit insecure, informs and inspires our musicians. You see that many of our authors and poets, and that's inevitable in our lyricists and composers as well. Things such as our mundaneness, the weather, the vastness of the nation and a passive-aggressive relationship with our loud & brash southern neighbour come through, and are contested by our musicians. Some of the most evident examples of those interactions are present in my nominations...

    I'm incredibly, incredibly biased towards Sam Roberts and Joel Plaskett. I'd love to see Chemical City, Ashtray Rock and Three make it onto the list. The Weakerthans' Reunion Tour. With the exception of Chemical City, these are some albums that take some of our insecurities (adolescence, loneliness, various mundane lives' points of view) and turn them into something worth celebrating. Chemical City, on the other hand, is just unabashedly open and unapologetic, which is almost counter to everything else I've endorsed above... but maybe that's where we're headed in terms of a national mentality. :)

    /Canadian lit related rant.

Post a Comment




 

Blog Design From| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
Additional adjustments by me using Hackosphere and Dummies' Guide to Blogger.