___________________________

15 Songs: 1990: Part Two


March 6, 1990: The National Gallery of Canada acquires Barnett Newman's Voice of Fire for $1.8 million causing a storm of controversy


All this week, I'm posting three songs a day that help define the year that was 1990, ending up with a final list of fifteen. I suppose a disclaimer should be put in place-- in 1990, I was only five, so I'm doing this based on retroactive research rather than any first-hand knowledge. So if you have any additions/revisions, feel free to give me a holler-- comment or use my contactify. Now, on to Part Two. (Part One is here)

Colin James- "Just Came Back" (from Sudden Stop)

Before the swing of 1993's Little Big Band and fresh off the success of his self-titled debut, James released Sudden Stop, a blues rock album that would spawn five singles, the most successful of which is this snarky send-off.

Maestro Fresh Wes- Let Your Backbone Slide (single)


"This is a throw-down, a show-down, hell no I can't slow down." The first Canadian rap single to go top 40, the number one selling Canadian rap single (as of 2008), and the sound of rap commercials on MuchMusic while I was growing up. A classic.

Voivod- "Nothingface" (from Nothingface)

From Jonquiere, Quebec, they started out as speed metal but discovered the industrial scene and Pink Floyd, making them focus on structure over showboating. Nothingface is considered their best release, and hit spot 64 in the Top 100 Canadian Albums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Blog Design From| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
Additional adjustments by me using Hackosphere and Dummies' Guide to Blogger.